Are there any BSD-derived UNIX versions for 386's?

Michael Squires mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Wed May 29 02:56:37 AEST 1991

1.  See Dr. Dobb's magazine for articles by Jolitz et al on the porting of
    BSD UNIX to the 386.  My understanding is that this will only be made
    available to source code license holders as part of the 4.4 BSD
    distribution.

2.  Buy a used Sun 386i.  They are a drug on the market now (one surplus house
    had 386i/150's for sale for $2000, new, for months with apparently few
    takers).  I'd go for a 386i/250; one with a 19" color monitor and 330MB
    HD/60MB tape drive went last year for $5000, and the prices should be
    lower now by a good bit.

My experience with a 386i/250 was that it was quite a bit slower than a
386/20 running SCO XENIX, especially when the system loaded up.  However,
things like X11R4 apparently compile on the 386i without giant hassles.

--

Mike Squires (mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408
Under construction: mikes at sir-alan.cica.indiana.edu