Why use U* over VMS

linwood.d.johnson linwood at cbnewsk.att.com
Tue Oct 30 14:54:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct30.021328.13001 at cbnewsk.att.com>, linwood at cbnewsk.att.com (linwood.d.johnson) writes:

> > In article <+SP6XL at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com
> > (Peter da Silva) writes:
> > >Yep. Everything is an option to "SET".
> >
> > Or `SHOW'.  Lessee, now, to get a listing of files, was it `SHOW FILES'?
> > No, wait, `SHOW FILES/DIRECTORY=CURRENT', er, no, `SET
> > LISTING=FILES/CURRENT_DIRECTORY'... :-)
> >
> > (Or, to print a file to the screen, that was `PRINT FOO'?  And to type
> > one out on the letter-quality typewriter-device, that was `TYPE FOO'.
> > Yeah, right.)
> > The one nice thing I remember about VMS was that its `help' facility
> > mostly worked.  I did miss the equivalent of `apropos'....  (Mind you,
> > this was VMS 2.3.)
>
>   Yeah, all of that stuff is frustrating.  But, try to redirect
>   output/input  to/from a file.  Or send the output from one program to
>   another.  Man, you talk about wordiness.
>   $ ASSIGN FOO.OUT SYS$OUTPUT
>   $ ASSIGN SYS$INPUT FOO.INPUT
>

>   But, VMS has a great debugger.  The greatest debugger that I've ever used.
>   Other than the debuggers that I've used on the PC.

   Oh yeah.   VMS has some great editors also.  I used to love using
   the TPU mode of ed.  We used to call it EVE (Extensible Vax
   Editor).  It was great.  You could define all of the
   functions of the keyboard to be something; like whatever you
   wanted it to be.  I found the editors in the world of UNIX to
   be somewhat hostile when compared to EVE.

 | Linwood D. Johnson       |  linwood at ihlpf.att.com                 |
 | Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine and mine only.       |
 |             Besides, who else would want them?                    |