Why use U* over VMS

linwood.d.johnson linwood at cbnewsk.att.com
Tue Oct 30 13:13:28 AEST 1990

In article <27237 at mimsy.umd.edu>, chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
> >>[VMS is] also a whole lot more user friendly.
>
> In article <+SP6XL at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com
> (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Yep. Everything is an option to "SET".
>
> Or `SHOW'.  Lessee, now, to get a listing of files, was it `SHOW FILES'?
> No, wait, `SHOW FILES/DIRECTORY=CURRENT', er, no, `SET
> LISTING=FILES/CURRENT_DIRECTORY'... :-)
>
> (Or, to print a file to the screen, that was `PRINT FOO'?  And to type
> one out on the letter-quality typewriter-device, that was `TYPE FOO'.
> Yeah, right.)
> The one nice thing I remember about VMS was that its `help' facility
> mostly worked.  I did miss the equivalent of `apropos'....  (Mind you,
> this was VMS 2.3.)

  Yeah, all of that stuff is frustrating.  But, try to redirect
  output/input  to/from a file.  Or send the output from one program to
  another.  Man, you talk about wordiness.
  $ ASSIGN FOO.OUT SYS$OUTPUT
  $ ASSIGN SYS$INPUT FOO.INPUT

  But, VMS has a great debugger.  The greatest debugger that I've ever used.
  Other than the debuggers that I've used on the PC.

| Linwood D. Johnson       |  linwood at ihlpf.att.com                 |
| Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine and mine only.       |
|             Besides, who else would want them?                    |