Why use U* over VMS

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Mon Oct 29 11:52:14 AEST 1990

In article <+SP6XL at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com
(Peter da Silva) writes:
>Yep. Everything is an option to "SET".

Or `SHOW'.  Lessee, now, to get a listing of files, was it `SHOW FILES'?
No, wait, `SHOW FILES/DIRECTORY=CURRENT', er, no, `SET
LISTING=FILES/CURRENT_DIRECTORY'... :-)

(Or, to print a file to the screen, that was `PRINT FOO'?  And to type
one out on the letter-quality typewriter-device, that was `TYPE FOO'.
Yeah, right.)

[end scarcasm mode]

The one nice thing I remember about VMS was that its `help' facility
mostly worked.  I did miss the equivalent of `apropos'....  (Mind you,
this was VMS 2.3.)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris