Why use U* over VMS

Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs wcs at cbnewsh.att.com
Sun Oct 21 10:34:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct17.211857.19213 at decuac.dec.com>, mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
> >So, assuming VAXset is part of the VMS environment, what makes U* better?
> 	As a pure development environment, none is better than whatever
> one you're most familiar with.

Only if the environment you're familiar with is good enough.
When I switched to UNIX, the environment I was most familiar with was IBM TSO,
and ANYTHING was better than that, except punch cards which I also knew well.

(Unfortunately, vi is "good enough", so I stil haven't switched to EMACS,
in spite of its obvious superiorities. :-)
Marcus goes on to say good things about using toolkits to make the
new environment emulate the old one when possible.

			Bill
--
					Thanks; Bill
# Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs AT&T Bell Labs 4M-312 Holmdel NJ