Why use U* over VMS

Andy Oram andyo at glasperl.masscomp
Wed Oct 24 00:14:16 AEST 1990

It's been almost a week since Siegfried Heintze made his bold request.  I'm
gratified to see no one has flamed him, but really no one has made a strong
answer either.  The utilities and shell tricks and so forth are nice, but what
about the design choices that make UNIX popular for systems and applications
programming?

This group is comp.unix.programmer, after all.  Isn't there someone out there
who can summarize the differences in working with the guts of VMX and UNIX,
someone who can speak from the experience of porting highly interactive
applications or writing device drivers or something like that?  There must be
some good general learning experiences here.

Guess everybody's too busy developing more such experience...

(I don't have such direct experience, so I've limited myself to replying to
Mr. Heintze by E-mail.)

Andrew Oram                            Concurrent Computer Corporation
(I don't represent Concurrent; this message represents my own opinion)

Digital Communications Route: andyo at westford.ccur.com
                              {harvard,uunet,petsd}!masscomp!andyo
Analog Communications Route:  (508) 392-2865

Automatic UN*X documentation utility:

          cref | compress | crypt | man