Character Based Windows

Phil Wilson philw at alchemy.UUCP
Fri Sep 21 17:07:46 AEST 1990

In article <382 at ulticorp.UUCP> rick at ulticorp.UUCP (rick/1024000) writes:
>We are currently in the design phase of a character based window interface.
>We would prefer not to reinvent the wheel, but the curses libraries on
>the machines we need to support are not adequate. We are willing to pay
>for 'C' source, but a product that requires royalties would be a hard sell
>to management. Thanx in advance.
>
>	Requirements:

>	1) Attribute control. ( Underscore, Bold, etc )
>	2) Color control. ( 16 colors would be adequate )
>	3) Boxes for the windows. ( Control of border required also ).
>	4) Standard cursor positioning, clear screen, etc.
>	5) Window selection, stacking, and hiding control.
>	6) Capability to read a window internal map.
>	7) Correct operation on terminals with magic cookie problem.

try Vermont Views; I just got it and I know it satisfies 5 out your 7
requirements, possibly more.  Operation on sg#1 terminals is not great;
if sg#1 or ug#1 are present, it will only allow 2 attributes, normal and dim.
We have over 700 Televideo 955 terms out there (sg#1), and have made the
decision to use Views and drop the 955s. This is not to say Views doesn't look
good on 955s; it is quite presentable.