Why don't we just gateway u-w to unix.programmer?

Richard M. Mathews richard at locus.com
Mon Sep 10 19:43:40 AEST 1990

gl8f at astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:

>Do wizards talk only about programming? No.

>Do wizards talk only about internals? No.

>It seems that the original proposal didn't rename comp.unix.wizards,
>it destroyed it.

It wasn't renamed or destroyed.  I would say it was split up.  Topics
previously covered in c.u.w now seem to be distributed between (at
least) internals, programmer, shell, and admin.  There seemed to be
great unhappiness with the mishmash of stuff in the old group, so
why would we want to go back to that?  The new organization makes it
easier for any given wizard to pick and choose from a menu of wizardly
discussions.

A wizard who feels uncomfortable discussing internals would have refrained
from such discussion in the old c.u.w and will now refrain from such
discussions in c.u.i.  That still leaves discussions in the other new
groups where such a wizard can still be at home.

Richard M. Mathews
Locus Computing Corporation
richard at locus.com
lcc!richard at seas.ucla.edu