looking for a good UNIX book

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Tue Apr 23 14:15:51 AEST 1991

jmf at cs.brown.edu (Justin Ferrari) writes:
>I am interested in buying a book on UNIX programming, [...]

	For my money, Kernighan and Pike's "The UNIX Programming Environment"
is still one of the best - even though it's slightly dated, it touches very
subtly on the crucial issues of developing things under UNIX: many texts I
have seen take the approach of "This is how you hack everything in C under
UNIX" which is the wrongwrongwrong way to do things. There's nothing so
tasteless in K&P as blather about "UNIX philosophy", but it's written with
a very practical eye, and a very "UNIX-like" approach. (are you surprised?)

mjr.