Understanding select...

Scott Goehring goehring at mentor.cc.purdue.edu
Thu Apr 25 00:37:57 AEST 1991

In article <1580 at integow.uucp> theo at integow.uucp (Theo Hardendood) writes:

   From article <533 at shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM>, by
   dcj at AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (David Jacobson rimux):
   >   I would like to use the select command to sit on a serial
   > device object descriptor (fd) and come off the select when any
   > data has come in.
   >
   > Q1:  Is this possible?

   Yes (although I read somewhere that not all devices support select
   calls)

correction:  all devices *support* select.  some, however, always
report that the device is ready (disks, for example), thereby
supporting select in a less-than-useful fashion.
--
		  Help stamp out vi in our lifetime!
	Scott Goehring			goehring at mentor.cc.purdue.edu
					goehring at gnu.ai.mit.edu
	   "Then go cast an astral spell on yourself, ok?"