sdb behavior

Andrew D Kailhofer adk at csd4.csd.uwm.edu
Tue Apr 30 03:11:12 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr25.201206.12430 at mccc.edu> pjh at mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>I have a program that dumps core but when I invoke sdb with the name of
>the executable, sdb says "no source file."  The command line I used is
>simply "sdb program".  Program was built from "cc -g -o program program.c".

Being an habitual System V person, I've seen this sort of thing
before.  There are several ways that this can be caused, the best two
contenders being (1) you aren't in the directory containing the source
of your code, or (2) [and I believe this is your problem] the error
actually occurred someplace inside a library call or some such like
that.  You might want to try doing a 't' and seeing what the stack
trace says, if it says anything.  Sdb isn't really very smart, and
gets pretty confrused if pointers get screwed up, which is also one of
the things that causes library calls to blow up...