CURSES: use of overlay()/overwrite()

j.f.van valkenburg jfv at cbnewsk.att.com
Sat Jun 22 02:06:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun20.170834.8080 at mks.com>, ant at mks.com (Anthony Howe) writes:

> What is the correct way to use overlay() and overwrite().  Are they what
> I need?  I want to display a dialogue box, then later remove it from the
> screen restoring whatever was covered.  The catch is that I want the
> dialogue box to do the refresh and maintain independence by not having
> any knowledge of other windows other than curscr.
>
> --
> ant at mks.com                                                   Anthony C Howe
> Mortice Kern Systems Inc. 35 King St. N., Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2J 6W9
> "Fate favors fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise" - Riker

Instead of flipping windows as in overlay, try openning a new window altogether.

By making a new window you can do a wrefresh(newwin) to update just one
window or wnoutrefresh(newwin) and do everything with a refresh().

The two windows,stdscr and newwin, will be totally independent of each other and
cursor addressing will be dependent on the window addressed.

James F. Van Valkenburg         a.k.a.  "van"
AT&T 				Attmail: !jfv               jfv at cbnewsk.att.com
Atlanta, GA.			Voice  404-810-7920