ulimit considered braindamaged ?

paul at devon.UUCP paul at devon.UUCP
Thu Feb 5 23:33:18 AEST 1987

In article <1343 at cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, grr at cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins)
writes:
> A number of "System III" ports are actually 7th Edition ports with some of
> the newer S III system calls added.  Zilog's Zeus, and I believe non Sys V
> Xenix fall into this category.  Zeus implements the ulimit system call, but
> the disk limit part of it is a no-op.

Actually, Xenix V (Microsoft and SCO) are also V7 ports with sys3 and
sys5 system calls added.  (Microsoft originally ported V7 UN*X to form
their Xenix 2.x; they probably just built on that for 3.0 and sys V).
For instance, Xenix V/286 still has /etc/ttys and /etc/ttytype (no
/etc/inittab).  The uucp is even V7 based.  But it does have semiphores
(as does Xenix 3.0), shared mem calls, etc.

What I'd like to see is a _REAL_ Sys V Xenix!!!  (I heard rumors that
something like this was seen at UniForum).

- paul at devon.UUCP

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.	    paul at devon.UUCP	(or, if you prefer:)
Devon Computer Services	    {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!devon!paul