INFO-UNIX Digest V3#066

Richard_Conto at um.cc.umich.EDU Richard_Conto at um.cc.umich.EDU
Thu Feb 19 01:18:12 AEST 1987

This is a side issue to the the problems inherent in mail
systems that export mail to unreachable places asap, but
Rex Black's (of <black at ee.UCLA.EDU>) message which said:

>        If you want to talk about serious, read section 8 of
>the BSD Programmer's Manual.  Those are programs where one must
>closely inspect each character of the command line before hitting
>return, not simply flip into vi at the end of a mail session
>and reread for typos!

 ... is just evidence of a poorly designed program, and not an excuse
excuse for poor design in programs.  (I prefer keyword oriented
commands instead of letter oriented commands.)

On the other hand, for most mail systems I know of, once you've
posted a message, that's it, and users will always be asking to
'unpost' a message after they've gone past the point of no return.

And in general, that applies to most systems.. from manipulating files
to driving automobiles.  There's a point of no return that you cann't
back off from, and users just have to be careful at those points.

--- Richard

Arpa/Internet:   Richard_Conto at um.cc.umich.edu

Usnail:  Richard Conto             Ma Bell:  (313) 764-9423
         Computing Center
         1075 Beal ave.
         University of Michigan
         Ann Arbor, Mi. 48109

If you want a witty saying, don't look here.