A little help with SED and embedded ^M please.

Wayne Smith was at creare.UUCP
Fri Apr 22 00:45:15 AEST 1988

In article <5483 at sigi.Colorado.EDU> murillo at boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
>I have an SED problem (I think) and I would like to get som feedback
>on how to do this.  It is pretty trivial I think, but I am new to SED.
>
>I have a text file of this form:
>
>   BEGIN
>     1
>     2
>     3
>   END
>
>   BEGIN
>     4
>     5
>     6
>   END
>
>This goes on for about 200 records.  What I want to do is extract the
>numbers, in the same sequence as in the original, and write them out to
>a new file.

#!/bin/sh
# Remove everything not between BEGIN and END
sed -n -e '/^BEGIN$/!d
:a
/^END$/d
b a' $1

>Also, I have recently had text files that have an emmbeded ^M char
>at the end of every line.  I know this has something to do with
>CR/LF conversion.  But how do I get rid of it? Thanks.

sed 's/^M$//'

(Note: the ^M is a single character.  In vi or on the command line,
 type ^V^M to get the ^M into the text.)

-Wayne

Ignore these lines.  Seems my solution wasn't verbose enough for the mailer.

--
Wayne A. Smith
Creare Inc.		arpa:	was%creare%dartmouth.edu at relay.cs.net
P.O. Box 71		uucp:	dartvax!creare!was