Transferring binary files from VAX BSD 4.2 to MS-DOS

John P. Nelson jpn at teddy.UUCP
Sat Apr 30 00:24:55 AEST 1988

> [A rather long description of the problems that can occur with KERMIT
>  if things are not properly configured ]
>
>I strongly recommend Frank DeLaCruz's book "KERMIT: a file transfer protocol"
>from DIGITAL Press.

I strongly recommend that you convert to XMODEM or one of it's
variations (preferrably ZMODEM).  Xmodem is a lowest common
denominator:  nearly every PC communications program can handle
vanilla XMODEM.

This is especially relevent for UNIX systems.  Kermit's primary
advantage is that it works with ANY kind of mainframe system, even
ones with totally brain-damaged terminal interfaces.  Since UNIX
supports a binary mode tty mode (RAW mode), XMODEM has the
advantage.
--
     john nelson

UUCP:            {decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!teddy!jpn
ARPA (sort of):  talcott.harvard.edu!panda!teddy!jpn