Transferring binary files from VAX BSD 4.2 to MS-DOS

Jay G. Heiser msicv01 at ms3.UUCP
Thu Apr 28 07:11:47 AEST 1988

I've seen several postings lately in response to someone who is having
difficulty transferring files from a VAX using unix to an MS-DOS PC.  I've
successfully transferred a number of binary files (ftp'ed to our VAX host
from SIMTEL20) from BSD 4.2 to my PC.  We have an added problem because we
use a broadband LAN and the packet communication units have not been con-
figured for transparent operation.  Kermit is the ONLY way we have of
transferring binary files from our hosts to PCs.

No one mentioned setting file type to binary on both the PC and the remote
host.  You MUST do it on the remote host, or every ^J will be turned into a
^M^J combo.  I believe the -i flag does the exact same thing.  I'm using
MS-KERMIT 2.30 (Jan 88) and it works just fine w/o having to set a file type.
However, CrossTalk XVI & CrossTalk Mark IV will not transfer binary files
correctly unless you explicity set file type to binary.

Also, parity will screw things up too, if you happen to have anything along
the line set to 7 bits.  Our IBM host only works with kermit with space parity.

I strongly recommend Frank DeLaCruz's book "KERMIT: a file transfer protocol"
from DIGITAL Press.

Jay Heiser                   UUCP: ..!umd5!vrdxhq!ms3!msicv01
                             ARPA: msicv01 at hios-pent.arpa
--
Jay Heiser                   UUCP: ..!umd5!vrdxhq!ms3!msicv01
                             ARPA: msicv01 at hios-pent.arpa