Need Recommendation for Line Printer

G.Pavlov pavlov at hscfvax.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 18 10:40:32 AEST 1988

In article <274 at amanue.UUCP>, jr at amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
> I need to buy a line printer for a machine which will initially have no more
> than 10 or so concurrent users, probably growing to 20 or so.  Currently we
> have a 300 lpm printer for an antiquated machine that's being replaced, and no
> one has complained to me that that's unacceptably slow.  I put about $5.5K for
> this into the budget, without really knowing what's what in line printers for
> small UNIX systems.

  I would suggest one of two options:

   a. purchase 2 8-10 ppm laser printers; outfit one with a 14-inch paper tray,
      leave other as is.  We have been using a LaserJet with good success as
      our "line printer";

   b. if you need to use fanfold paper, or print multi-part forms, substitute
      an HP RuggedWriter 480 for one of the lasers.  This is a printer that I
      have been considering, but it also received an excellent evaluation in
      Byte this month, for whatever that is worth to you.

  The above two options would give you a good deal of flexibility as well as
  reasonably high speed and throughput.  Total cost should be apx. $5k for
  the first option (including extra memory and a font cartridge for each
  machine) and apx. $4.5k for the 2nd.

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

  P.S.: we too have a 300 lpm (band) printer (in excellent shape; duty cycle
        of apx. 75 hours per month on a 2400-baud connection) that we would
        like to dispose of.  Any interest, anyone ???