Need Recommendation for Line Printer

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.UUCP
Mon Apr 18 04:50:29 AEST 1988

I need to buy a line printer for a machine which will initially have no more
than 10 or so concurrent users, probably growing to 20 or so.  Currently we
have a 300 lpm printer for an antiquated machine that's being replaced, and no
one has complained to me that that's unacceptably slow.  I put about $5.5K for
this into the budget, without really knowing what's what in line printers for
small UNIX systems.

I used a Printronix line printer on a PDP-11 system once.  (It ran RSTS, if
you will excuse my vulgar language.)  It seemed like a very nice unit.  Other
than that I have little experience with what's good in line printers, and
would appreciate opinions from netlanders.  To the DP folks who consume the
reports, the printer *is* the computer; if the printer goes down I will hear
about it pronto!!  So I am more concerned with reliability and availability of
on-site maintenance than bells and whistles.

Please mail me any recommendations -- or stay-away-from experiences, and I
will post a summary.  Thanks in advance.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \