Streams on UNIX System V supporting UDP/IP :Info needed.

Dr. Emilio Lizardo tgr at picuxa.UUCP
Thu Apr 7 03:03:21 AEST 1988

In article <1772 at polyslo.UUCP> jeff at polyslo.UUCP (Jeff Weinstein) writes:
:In article <10209 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> ekrell at hector (Eduardo Krell) writes:
:>Where did you hear that?. All the Wollongong code that runs on SVR3
:>is streams-based. They don't use "traditional Berkeley interfaces
:>hacked into the sys V kernel"; they have a user-level socket library
:>which implements the BSD system calls using streams.
:
:WRONG, WRONG, WRONG
:
:First of all the original note mentioned System V, not SVR3, so it could
:have been Release 2 based.  Secondly, there are two Wollongong implementations
:for SVR3, one based on streams, one not based on streams.  The one not based
:on streams is the one that we run here at Cal Poly, which AT&T gave us to
:run on our 3b2's.  The code does provide the "traditional Berkeley Interfaces",
:as well as the AT&T TLI interface, but no streams.

Wollongong WIN/3B Enhanced TCP/IP, Release 2.1, is the STREAMS implementation.

It is backwardly compatible, i.e., it has the user-level socket library and
does support UDP.

--
Tom Gillespie  ( ...ihnp4!picuxa!tgr) | (attmail!tgillespie) (201) 952-1178
AT&T/EDS Product Integration Center  299 Jefferson Rd. Parsippany NJ 07054

"Don't take life so serious ... it ain't nohow permanent."  -- Walt Kelly