SCCS version control

Mark VandenBrink markv at ingr.UUCP
Fri Dec 9 10:22:43 AEST 1988

I have, what I hope is a simple problem.  A thousand pardons if this question
has been asked "billions and billions" of times.

In developing a product under SCCS, we have, finally, gotten to the point
where we need to make a release.  So far no problems; however, I would like
to "remember" or baseline our platform so that some later time (fixes release,
etc.) I can automagically recreate the platform.

I've kluged up shell scripts to ferret out the "highest" delta from the s-file,
and I save a file that has lines: "/usr2/ee/ti/src/SCCS/s.ti.c 1.3".  And
I can write a shell script to read this file and "get -r1.3...."  But there
has got to be a better way (ala the VAX/VMS CMS command baseline).

Finally, the question.  _IS_ there a better way??  The Unix SYSV 3.1 release
we use has a program called vc(1) that purports to be a version control
filter for SCCS files, but darned if I can see how it is any help.

Send email, post here, send smoke signals, anything!!! :-)

Many thanks in advance.
--
                                          Mark VandenBrink
                                          Intergraph Corp.