SCCS version control

clewis at ecicrl.UUCP clewis at ecicrl.UUCP
Thu Dec 15 04:19:06 AEST 1988

In article <9125 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <3217 at ingr.UUCP> markv at ingr.UUCP (Mark VandenBrink) writes:
>>In developing a product under SCCS, we have, finally, gotten to the point
>>where we need to make a release.  So far no problems; however, I would like
>>to "remember" or baseline our platform so that some later time (fixes release,
>>etc.) I can automagically recreate the platform.
>
>Well, UNIX System V has a "comb" utility that can help combine deltas,
>but if your project is organized like ours, you may want to do what we
>plan to do, which is to run a massive find on the source tree and for
>each SCCS archive, do a "get -e", remove the archive, and "admin -i" a
>replacement archive with SCCS ID 1.1.

Doug is using the "change everything in the release to the same SID"
approach.  Which I don't like because you lose a lot of history on the files.

Somewhat less drastic is to use the SCCS "cutoff" facility - specify the
date at which the release was frozen to "get" via the "-c" flag.  Eg,

	make GFLAGS="-c880204"

Which will cause make to get every SCCS file with the last version before
the date specified.  Using this method, we used to be able to recreate whole
UNIX kernels and utility sets that were byte-per-byte identical.  (Mind you,
this was before COFF and it's compilation date headers...)
--
Chris Lewis, Markham, Ontario, Canada
{uunet!attcan,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis