AWK on a PC?

Tom Poage poage at sunny.UUCP
Sun Dec 11 18:28:41 AEST 1988

>>In article <7660 at dasys1.UUCP>, eravin at dasys1.UUCP (Ed Ravin) writes:
>>> Does anyone manufacture a compiler for AWK on an IBM PC?  Money is no
>>> object.  One of my associates has an AWK program that he developed using

A compiler, per se, may be difficult to come by.  However, the good
Misters A., W. and K. provide an example in their recent book (what
else, "AWK") that uses this language to translate AWK code into C.  I
guess the C compiler is up to you. :-)  Anyhow, this "compiler" is very
limited in scope -- a good deal is left as an exercise for the reader --
but it is useful.

And if that's not good enough, they (or rather AT&T) offer AWK source
code (in C I rashly assume) for Unixoids and IBM PC types.  With a
little or a lot of tweaking, the code for the AWK interpreter could be
turned into an AWK compiler.  Let me know when this happens!

Tom.

Tom Poage, UCDMC Clinical Engineering, Sacto., CA
ucdavis.ucdavis.edu!sunny!{poage,root,postmaster,news}
ucbvax!ucdavis!sunny!{poage,root,postmaster,news}