AWK on a PC?

Simon Elliott sme at computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Dec 9 00:27:07 AEST 1988

In article <1227 at cps3xx.UUCP>, smithda at cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Daniel Smith) writes:
> In article <2203 at cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc at cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
> >In article <7660 at dasys1.UUCP>, eravin at dasys1.UUCP (Ed Ravin) writes:
> >> Does anyone manufacture a compiler for AWK on an IBM PC?  Money is no
> >> object.  One of my associates has an AWK program that he developed using
> Check the ads in Byte Magazine.  Someone is selling a program called
> PolyAWK for the PC.   I don't know any of the details, but if you like
> AWK, the ad makes this sound like a real good product.

I know of two other possibilities:
GNU AWK (GAWK) was posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc a while ago; it should be in
the archives.  There was an update called GAWK 1.03 also.  Source and binary.

The other implementation is mentioned in 'The AWK Programming Language' by
Aho, Weinberger, and Kernighan (Addison Wesley, 1988).  They (AT&T? A-W?)
do an implementation of AWK for PC's, including the 1985 revisions to the
language (functions, new builtins, ...)

Hope this helps.
Simon Elliott            Internet: sme%v1.cm.cf.ac.uk at cunyvm.cuny.edu
UWCC Computer Centre     JANET:    sme at uk.ac.cf.cm.v1
40/41 Park Place         UUCP:     {backbones}!mcvax!ukc!reading!cf-cm!sme
Cardiff, Wales           PHONE:    +44 222 874300