UNIX(tm) choices for 386 systems

rja rja at edison.GE.COM
Tue Dec 6 00:17:17 AEST 1988

( The article I'm reponding to appeared in ~wizards but seemed
  more appropriate here so I've changed the posting location.)

AT&T is selling UNIX System V/386 release 3.2 NOW and it provides
full support for XENIX binaries.  When Microport/Interactive/et. al.
start selling rel 3.2 for the 386 theirs will also support XENIX
binaries.  I believe that all will be selling that release shortly
if they aren't already.

HDB is widely available for Microport/Interactive/et.al. ports
of UNIX V/286 and UNIX V/386 and by now may well be the standard
offering.  I believe that it comes with AT&T's offering.

The '286 compilers seem to have had problems with bugs beyond what
I'd consider normal (both Xenix and the Sys V crowd), but the
'386 compilers reportedly are working well.

A number of people I know are buying the AT&T UNIX V for
PCs that aren't AT&T.  I'm looking into doing the same.