UNIX(tm) choices for 386 systems

Louis Schmittroth louis at auvax.UUCP
Fri Dec 9 12:21:54 AEST 1988

In article <1729 at edison.GE.COM>, rja at edison.GE.COM (rja) writes:
> AT&T is selling UNIX System V/386 release 3.2 NOW and it provides
> full support for XENIX binaries.  When Microport/Interactive/et. al.
> start selling rel 3.2 for the 386 theirs will also support XENIX
> binaries.  I believe that all will be selling that release shortly
> if they aren't already.
> A number of people I know are buying the AT&T UNIX V for
> PCs that aren't AT&T.  I'm looking into doing the same.

I have finally installed AT&T 386 UNIX on a Televideo 386, which is
and (almost) AT clone.  Make sure that the hard drive is in the
drive table.  At least Rel 3.1 doesn't let you set the drive parameters
at the first menu like Xenix 2.3 does. -- There may be work arounds
if the drive is not in the drive table.

The Tele 386 came with an AT style keybd, which worked fine with
both DOS and Xenix, but not with AT&T UNIX.  As a last resort I
took the keyboard off this old IBM XT and moved it over, and
UNIX proceeded.  I have since gotten a keyboard with an XT - AT
switch, and if I have to boot DOS only, I move it to the XT
position.  If I run SimulTAsk this is not necessary.  I am hoping
that Rel 3.2 will cure this????
--

Louis Schmittroth, Computer Science, Athabasca University
auvax!louis