High FLOPS/buck machines

G.Pavlov pavlov at hscfvax.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 19 12:33:22 AEST 1988

In article <289 at coho.UUCP>, ronj at datacom.ee.ubc.ca (Ron Jeffery) writes:

> We want to buy a compute/file-server for our lab......  One system
> that we are considering is the Sun 4/110 which sun is currently offered
> to our university at considerable discounts ...I would like advice on high
> MIPS/buck (and FLOPS/buck) systems costing less than $50,000CDN (say
> $35,000US) for a complete configuration (MIPS, Appolo, HP?).  Thanks in
> advance.

  We matched a Sun 4/260 vs. a MIPS/120-5.  It was a NC (No Contest) result.
  The MIPS, with educational discount, cost us $32k: 16 meg, 2 300 meg drives,
  ethernet, 4 serial ports, MIPS Unix, and Fortran.

  Unix Review has done reports on both of these machines recently.  We found
  that their results were right on target, at least for what we did.  Particu-
  larly multitasking issues.

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny