Need help with NROFF, VI

James Harvey jbh at mibte.UUCP
Sat Feb 20 07:11:13 AEST 1988

We are doing word processing using VI and NROFF on the Pyramid
here.  We hooked an HP LaserJet II to the printer ports of our
terminals through a Logical Connection sharing box.

Question:
  How does one get an escape sequence out of NROFF?  I would
like to use bold face, italics, underline etc. that are available
from within the LaserJet.  These require the construction of a
macro to transmit the appropriate character string starting with a
real escape ($1b).  How do I get VI to put a literal value in the
file, alternately, some sequence that NROFF will translate into a
hex 1b?  I can't find anything in the books I have.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

   ihnp4!mibte!jbh   or try   ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh