Need help with NROFF, VI

Fai Lau ugfailau at sunybcs.uucp
Mon Feb 22 01:58:34 AEST 1988

In article <2519 at mibte.UUCP> jbh at mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:

>Question:
>  How does one get an escape sequence out of NROFF?  I would
>like to use bold face, italics, underline etc. that are available
>from within the LaserJet.  These require the construction of a
>macro to transmit the appropriate character string starting with a
>real escape ($1b).  How do I get VI to put a literal value in the
>file, alternately, some sequence that NROFF will translate into a
>hex 1b?  I can't find anything in the books I have.

	Using control-V in VI would enable you to put practically
any control character in the editing file. In your case, you
can try C-V ESC, you would get something looking like "^[" which
is a standard representation of ESC in VI, and it does have
a value of hex 1b.

Fai Lau
SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
UU: ..{rutgers,ames}!sunybcs!ugfailau