Packet size & number of windows in UUCP

Lee McLoughlin lmjm at doc.ic.ac.uk
Sun Feb 28 03:11:52 AEST 1988

In article <19 at dcs.UUCP> wnp at dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>In article <157 at istop.ist.CO.UK> neil at ist.CO.UK (Neil Todd) writes:
> >OK, not a UKC comment but:- UKUUCP is not written by UKC, is derives
> >for HB (I believe), much of the dirty work was done by
> >Lee McLoughlin <lmjm at doc.ic.ac.uk> currently at Imperial College
> >in London. The majority of sites in the UK use it. Zillions of bug
> >fixes, plus improved structure of L.sys file, additional protocols
> >(currently g,f and t I think), runs nicely over X25 lines.
> >
> >New release is currently on the cards, as for getting it that is
> >possibly a problem is it is NOT PD.
>
>If getting it is a problem, and it is not PD, how come the majority of sites
>in UK use it? Are the majority of sites in UK source licenced? If not, how
>do they get it?
>
>A definitive  and authoritative comment from UKC would still be welcome!

Well I'm sort of the author will I do?  I'm not too sure what this
conversation is about but ...

Its widely available in the UK because all the source licensed academic
sites use it, most of the UK unix vendors supply it with there machines
in place of the standard version. In fact Unisoft - then Root Computers - the
major 'porter of USG gave me machine time to develope it in its early days.
They helped to make it widely available on sys3, sys5 machines in the UK.
Other vendors have been persuaded to supply binaries by customers.

It was originally based on V7 uucp.  Every useful patch ever seen on the
net has been installed.  Given that it went up on a lot of novel architecture
machines a lot of other bugs were fixed.  Lots of people, 40-50 at the
last count, contributed fixes or enhancements.  Lastly I am a complete
workaholic and spent more time working on it than I care to think about!

It is not PD.  You'd need a V7 source license or better to get it.  I
used to keep all the license photocopies till my desk started getting full.

A new release is pending.  I've just spent time in hospital, hence the delay.
It may be the last. I'd like to upgrade uupc to be compatiable.  Then
no more license problems!

If anyone else is interested, mail me.

	Lee