Accessing files by inode #s

Frank Caggiano caggiano at esquire.UUCP
Thu Feb 4 04:05:54 AEST 1988

In article <11470 at brl-adm.ARPA> iunix1 at almsa-1.arpa (Will Martin) writes:

>One common problem we have encountered here in using UNIX-based office
>automation systems is people accidentally creating files with odd names,

[ Goes on to request info on how to remove the file with the odd name ]

>Regards,
>Will Martin
>wmartin at ALMSA-1.ARPA   (on USENET try "...!uunet!almsa-1.arpa!wmartin")

Two methods that have always worked for me are:

	rm -i [some combination of chars to narrow done the list]

This will ask you for each file if it should be removed, just skip the
ones you don't want removed and answer y to the errant file.  Be careful
with this however as foo^Ybar and foobar will both show up as foobar.

If there are a number of files you want removed or you don't feel like
stepping through rm -i use:

%ls > filename
%vi filename

Now remove all lines in the file which do not match the files you want removed
then add a rm (or rm -i if you are paranoid) in front of each filename left.

exit vi then run

%sh filename
(or make filename executable and run it)

Regards.