Accessing files by inode #s

Nuchia steve at nuchat.UUCP
Wed Feb 10 11:26:58 AEST 1988

>From article <280 at cutsys.UUCP>, by cutter at cutsys.UUCP (Bernie Hoffstadt ):
[about the find command, and sysV documentation...]
> 	Since my manual did not document the -inum option, and the
> manual is essentially a reprint of the generic AT&T SystemV manual, it's
> conceivable that other manuals don't have it either.  Check your manual,
> and if it's not there, see if the option works.  If it does, add it and
> let your O/S maker know.

The reason the reference to -inum was deleted is that the concept
of an inumber relates to one specific (well, two, but I digress)
implementation of the filesystem.  Thus all mention of them (inodes)
were expurgated from the SVID.  And since all recent sysV manuals
are derived from the SVID (choke gasp) they all lack any information
on how things work.

"From now on, think of it as standard."
			- someone on the death star.
--
Steve Nuchia	    | [...] but the machine would probably be allowed no mercy.
uunet!nuchat!steve  | In other words then, if a machine is expected to be