Accessing files by inode #s

Rahul Dhesi dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP
Sun Feb 7 09:07:42 AEST 1988

In article <11667 at brl-adm.ARPA> wmartin at almsa-1.arpa (Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI)
writes:
>An "ls -l ?ol?" will get "cannot stat hold" as the response. Notice that
>the commands can say "hold" in these cases, and not "?ol?". They CAN find
>this file, but they then cannot work upon it. An "od -c ." will
>produce output in which I can find the offending file with its name
>interpreted as "350 o l 344".

It looks like the eighth bit is set in "h" and "d" in the filename.  It
may be that you rm program ignores the 8th bit and tries to remove (or
stat) "hold" in 7-bit ascii, or that the shell expands your wildcards
in 7-bit ascii only.

I suggest the following C program:

     main() { unlink ("\350ol\344"); }
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi