Fun with ignoreeof

Jay Maynard jay at splut.UUCP
Wed Feb 10 23:51:12 AEST 1988

In article <254 at elan.UUCP>, jlo at elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) writes:
> [about ignoreeof]
> Typing 26 Ctrl-D's in succession will cause csh to exit even
> if ignoreeof is set.

Yours, maybe, but not mine. THe csh in Microport System V/AT (at least) will
happily loop on EOF forever. I had a program that crashed horribly, and,
with ignoreeof set, kept looping on the prompt and the message "Use exit to
logout." Without ignoreeof, it just would dump core, exit, and log off that
session. (This was the KA9Q TCP/IP package, BTW, before I applied the fix to
the SMTP daemon.)

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | GEnie: JAYMAYNARD  CI$: 71036,1603
uucp: {uunet!nuchat,academ!uhnix1,{ihnp4,bellcore,killer}!tness1}!splut!jay