Honeydanber on Microport

964[jak]-Robert Halloran rkh at mtune.ATT.COM
Tue Feb 16 04:47:08 AEST 1988

In article <10 at vsi.UUCP> sullivan at vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) writes:
>In article <10060 at tycho.UUCP>, lyndon at tycho.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>> Does anyone know why Microport doesn't provide the 'HDB' version of
>> cu, or if there's a difference?
>
>The difference is that the HDB version should know how to work with uugetty.
>Don't know why they don't, though.  All I can get out of them is "It's
>public domain software and we don't support it."

HDB is ANYTHING but public domain; it is an AT&T product, buying source
from the AT&T Toolchest costs about $2000. last time I looked, binary
redistribution rights cost an additional $20K, and it is the ONLY
version of uucp provided under V.3.  If you're running the '386 version,
supposedly SVr3, Microport would have received standard HDB as part of
their distribution tape.  If you're running the '286 version, it would
have cost them as above to make it available under that SVr2 port, since
the only V.2 it is standard for is the version for the AT&T 3B series.

More obfuscation, from the sound of it.
						Bob Halloran
						Distributed Programming
						  Tools Group
Bang-ist: {ATT-ACC, rutgers}!mtune!rkh		DDD: (201)957-6034
At-ist:   rkh at mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: AT&T IS Labs, 200 Laurel Ave Rm 3G-314 Middletown NJ 07748
Disclaimer: If you believe I'm speaking for anyone but myself,
		you're sadly mistaken.
Quote: "Good morning, the Russians still beating the pants off us in space?"
		-- Opus to Oliver, "Bloom County"