uucp to hundreds of sites

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP
Sat Feb 13 00:19:57 AEST 1988

In article <14699 at pyramid.pyramid.com> csg at pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
| In article <9499 at steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
| [ result of testing on a 286 box ]
|
| The amount of time needed to find work using UUCP increases exponentially with
| the number of jobs queued, and that's mostly time searching and sorting the
| UUCP work directory. Yes, you can start one job to one site in 1.5 seconds. It
| won't be anywhere near that when you've got 100 or more jobs queued. It will
| also be highly dependent on the disk used.

(a) only the user time goes up, not the process initiation time, (b)
sorry, the CPU will not be affected much by the disk speed (the clock
time will).

| Steady state of 6% is for sending only; receiving saturates the 386 boxes I've
| used to 100% instantly.

I don't know about "SysV" derivitives, but the times on my 386 running
Xenix/386 (I had a chance to look there since my last posting), look
like
	CPU = 1 + (0.015 * clock)

for all jobs, at all baud rates, sending or receiving, to both SysV,
SysIII, and BSD sites, no matter who initiates the call.  Receiving 310k
at 2400 baud took 1505 sec, 3.2sec CPU (using a dumb serial port).

Could you quote your configuration for hardware and software, what type
of machine you were connected to, and how you measured the CPU vs. real
time. I would like to repeat your test on my own hardware. I'm sure you
measured the 100% under controlled conditions or you wouldn't have
mentioned it, therefore I must be missing something.

sixhub is the distribution machine for starix, and handles about 200
files/day.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)