uucp to hundreds of sites

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Thu Feb 11 16:54:35 AEST 1988

In article <9499 at steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  The overhead of starting uucico, locating a remote with data to
>transfer, and placing the call is about 1500ms. The steady state cpu
>load is about 6% at 9600, about 2% at 2400.

The amount of time needed to find work using UUCP increases exponentially with
the number of jobs queued, and that's mostly time searching and sorting the
UUCP work directory. Yes, you can start one job to one site in 1.5 seconds. It
won't be anywhere near that when you've got 100 or more jobs queued. It will
also be highly dependent on the disk used.

Steady state of 6% is for sending only; receiving saturates the 386 boxes I've
used to 100% instantly.

<csg>