uucp to hundreds of sites

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP
Thu Feb 11 02:45:11 AEST 1988

[ question about lots of ports on a micro ]

  After I saw your question I collected statistics on my machine, and I
think I have a reasonable answer to your question. All times quoted are
for Xenix/286, 8MHz AT, dumb serial ports.

  The overhead of starting uucico, locating a remote with data to
transfer, and placing the call is about 1500ms. The steady state cpu
load is about 6% at 9600, about 2% at 2400.

  Given that (a) my little machine could theoretically support about 16
dumb lines, (b) my 386 at home is about 300% faster, and (c) the steady
state overhead will be a *lot* lower with smart serial cards, I see no
reason to doubt that you could run 24 lines at up to 9600 baud without
problems. There are a number of good cards out there, including Bell
Technologies 6 port smart card.

  I think you can do it with power to spare. Use lots of memory.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)