Trapping yourself in csh. (Fun with ignoreeof revisited)

ScoMole #192-1232A jonl at sco.COM
Sat Feb 20 03:59:52 AEST 1988

+-I seem to recall flee at gondor.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) writing:

| Here's something I cobbled together one day, when I discovered that csh would
| let you alias 'alias'.  It's a script you 'source' that traps you in csh.
| Works on 4.[23] Berkeleyish systems.
|
| Be prepared to:
| - kill yourself from another terminal.
| - disconnect your physical/telnet/rlogin connection.
| - crash csh.  (I don't know any fatal csh errors)
| - start up an assassin before you source this script.
|
| Did I miss anything?
| --
| Felix Lee	flee at gondor.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!gondor!flee

there are a number of ways to get yourself out of this "trap".
you could just execute another csh for one thing. (\/bin\/csh)
you can also create another shell script which could do various things
that would be an escape. but one thing for sure about that script....
imagine installing it in a few of your friends accounts without telling
them. reminds me of the time when i put a false message in a friend's
account over xmas break while he went home... at the time he was possibly
goign to loose his account for various reasons (i still think the
administration doesn't like the idea of having an account called "horny"
around..) so i added a few lines into his .login to the effect of
"Your account has been closed due to....." making it sound very official
and then had a false port selector message come up. scared him quite
a bit as i remember.. sometimes the best jokes are the simpliest..

there is no point, this is BoFf!