Trapping yourself in csh. (Fun with ignoreeof revisited)

Fai Lau ugfailau at sunybcs.uucp
Sun Feb 21 20:17:37 AEST 1988

In article <221 at scovert> jonl at sco.COM (ScoMole #192-1232A) writes:

  [practical joke about putting a scary message into a friend's .login file]
>and then had a false port selector message come up. scared him quite
>a bit as i remember.. sometimes the best jokes are the simpliest..

	A Unix machine I used to work with had very loose securities.
But it really wasn't a problem because everything terminals to
the machine was hard wired and the company had a security system
that check everybody that comes into the building. But then
there was me.
	Anyway, once I found out that all the devices in /dev
was sccessable to everybody, I started doing things like writting
pseudo system messages to other terminals and monitoring their
activities. One thing though, the response of the system to a terminal
for some reason slowed down noticeably when I monitored inputs from
that terminal. I never found out although it might be because
there was heavy I/O between the terminal and the program it was
running. Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough so the idea of figuring
out the password to root never passed my mind. 8-)

Fai Lau
SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
UU: ..{rutgers,ames}!sunybcs!ugfailau
BI: ugfailau at sunybcs INT: ugfailau at joey.cs.buffalo.EDU