Curses & Terminfo

Chris Calabrese[rs] cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
Tue Feb 9 02:45:49 AEST 1988

In article <1686 at rtech.UUCP>, russ at llama.UUCP writes:

> 	/usr/lib/terminfo isn't a file, it is a directory.  Each
> 	terminal's terminfo entry is in a separate file, whose name
> 	is the name of the terminal.  These files reside in directory
> 	/usr/lib/terminfo/? where '?' is the first letter of the name
> 	of the terminal.  For example, the terminfo description of a
> 	vt100 is in file /usr/lib/terminfo/v/vt100.  The terminfo files
> 	come from a source file that has been "compiled", so the terminfo
> 	files are in a binary format (i.e. you can't just cat them).
>
> 	On the 3B's, curses uses terminfo. But, other implementations of
> 	SYSV by other vendors may still use termcap.  On the other 3B's
> 	(I'm not too familiar with the 3B1), the terminfo directory is
> 	part of the standard software.

On my 7300, (3b1 with 20meg disk), the terminfo came with the
system software, but it was on a seperate disk from the rest of
the system files, so it would be easy for someone who didn't know
what it was to not load it.

Also, the curses which is on the system software (foundation set
for AT&Ters) does not use terminfo, but there is a terminfo-ing
curses which comes as a seperate disk with the development set.

BTW, this is with release 3.5.

	Chris Calabrese
	AT&T Bell Labs
	ulysses!cjc