Need help with NROFF, VI

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Fri Feb 26 22:47:05 AEST 1988

In article <2523 at mibte.UUCP> jbh at mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
>The NROFF problem remains however.  I can't get an escape through
>NROFF.  This thing uses several printer drivers, does anyone know
>where these printer drivers are stored?  Mabye I can figure out
>how to modify one to configure the LaserJet.
>
>Oh, yes, the computer is eight miles away, not too practical to
>connect the printer directly.  We don't all have the luxury of
>our own machines.  The LaserJet is currently shared by two
>5420/2's, one vt240, and two IBM AT's running dedicated
>applications.

If the NROFF is pre-version 2.0, it has printer-specific driver tables in
a directory /usr/lib/term, called tabXXXX, where XXXX is what you specify
to the nroff -T option. These driver tables can be uncompiled, modified,
and re-compiled (or written from scratch and then compiled) using a package
posted to comp.sources.unix a couple of days ago, Bruce Townsend's Nroff
Driver Tables Utilities, v13i069.

If the NROFF is version 2.0 or later, it has its driver tables in ASCII
form, modifyable with any editor (i.e. vi), and stored in either
/usr/lib/term or /usr/lib/nterm.

BTW, Bruce Townsend's package includes a sample printer driver for HP-LJ+.

Hope this helps.
--
Wolf N. Paul                  Phone: (214) 306-9101 (h)   (214) 404-8077 (w)
3387 Sam Rayburn Run          UUCP: ihnp4!killer!{dcs, doulos}!wnp