Packet size & number of windows in UUCP

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Tue Feb 23 02:02:29 AEST 1988

>In article <398 at cogen.UUCP>, alen at cogen.UUCP (Alen Shapiro) writes:
> ukc (University of Kent U.K.) have had a version of uucp (I believe it
> is a p.d. version) that one can specify both packet-size and # of windows
> in the L.sys file.

The "packet and window size" in UKUUCP refers to the X.25 packet and window
size, negotiated all call request time by the two X.25 DTEs. It is entirely
different from the uucico 'g' protocol window and packet size. In fact, when
to X.25 sites connect, they aren't using 'g' protocol at all; they use 'f'.

A pity they had to add another field to L.sys to do this. I rather like the
way we do it here, with subfields in the fifth field:

	pyramid Any PAD 9600 311040800000,W7,P256 ogin:--ogin:

which allows any X.25 facilities to be specified, not just packet and window
size. And to get the variable bit protocols, I'd rather follow in the steps on
HDB by using the protocol subfield after the caller, e.g., "ACU,6".

But alas, our UUCP won't talk to ukc. I'm going to find out why, someday....

In article <157 at istop.ist.CO.UK> neil at ist.CO.UK (Neil Todd) writes:
>UKUUCP is not written by UKC, it derives for HB (I believe)....

No, it is based on 4.2BSD UUCP. And of course the base code is proprietary to
AT&T. However, if you can prove you have a source license, you can get it for
free. So you might say that UKC's modifications are PD. And any site that has
a source license can compile it for a neighboring site that has only a binary
license, and give them the binary.

<csg>