Calculators

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.UUCP
Sun Feb 28 13:56:08 AEST 1988

In article <12002 at brl-adm.ARPA> roberts at icst-cmr.arpa (John Roberts) writes:

>Are there ANY calculator utilities that will run under Unix (4.3)
>that support FLOATING POINT operations? Maybe even transcendental
>functions? I'm tired of the ones that only work with integers.

The calculator I use is hoc6, from the Kernighan & Pike book.
The sources were posted to the net quite some time ago.  hoc6 is
normally interactive, so that you might do
	% hoc6
	x = 1.2
	x^3
		1.728
	^Z
but you can do e.g.
	% echo "1.2^3" | hoc6
	        1.728
so it can replace 'expr' as well as 'bc'.

To be perfectly frank, I'm switching over to xlisp instead.
Not only is it much easier to program, but it's only 2/3 the size...
(Thanks, David Betz!)

You should be able to get xlisp or hoc6 from an archive server.