NROFF/TROFF for LaserWriter

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun Feb 28 11:58:47 AEST 1988

In article <293 at tlxprs.UUCP> jep at tlxprs.UUCP (Jo Poplawski) writes:
>Hello. I am wondering if there are any Public Domain (preferably) or
>commercial software packages that will allow us to use an Apple Laser
>Writer Plus with TROFF/NROFF.  I have heard of DITROFF but do not really
>know what it is.

"ditroff" is one name for the version of "troff" than Brian Kernighan
rewrote to remove the GSI/Wang C/A/T typesetter dependency.  "di"
stands for "device independent", because new "troff" obtains its idea
about a typesetter's characteristics by reading a data file, based on
what the invoker tells it the device type is (via its "-T" option).

I think there are several companies that offer ditroff post-processors
for the LaserWriter (or, more generally, for PostScript-based printers).
Adobe Systems (creators of PostScript) is one I'm familiar with.  You
should be able to find ads in back issues of UNIX Review or UNIX/World.