inheriting processes from other ttys

Chris Calabrese[rs] cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
Thu Feb 18 02:14:11 AEST 1988

In article <352 at tub.UUCP>, cabo at tub.UUCP (Carsten Bormann) writes:

> The plan was to do it in two steps:
>
> 1) Implement detaching from a ``screen'' process and attaching to it
>    from a different terminal of the same type.
> 2) Enhance ``screen'' to be able to change terminal types mid-river, which
>    in combination with (1) would allow you to e.g. detach from an h19
>    and attach from a vt100 (as long as the screen dimensions and other
>    critical parameters remain the same).

I've thought of doing this also.  Another enhancement is
to have the windowing protocal have it's own escape sequences,
both for input and for output,
and to map them to the sequences of the host terminal.

This would allow the detach/attach code to be terminal independant,
and would allow the windowing software to run on both
character oriented terminals, and on bit mapped terminals.

One probelm with this approach is speed, of course.
Another thing is that it would be much easier to impliment
using the terminfo database, instead of termcap, but it's
not available under BSD, or Xenix (versions I've used).

	Chris Calabrese
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	ulysses!cjc