Help- '/dev/[raw]lp' cannot create - Help

eric townsend erict at flatline.UUCP
Mon Feb 15 11:56:53 AEST 1988

Well, I broke flatline again....
flatline = 3b1 Unix 3.0, w/67Mb HD, 3.5Mb RAM, DOS-73, etc..

I was trying to change the default printer driver from 'lp' to 'rawlp'.

(There was a recent post explaining that this was a great way to deal
with odd printers.  Switch the default /dev/lp to /dev/rawlp and
let the application take care of text formatting...anyway...)

I did 'lpadmin -pOther -v/dev/rawlp' and then realised I was supposed
to do 'lpshut' first.   So I did an 'lpshut'; did the above 'lpadmin'
command again; then did 'lpsched'.
I keep getting this from the 'lpstat -t'.

        scheduler is running
        system default destination: Other
        members of class Parallel:
	        Other
        device for Other: /dev/lp
        Other accepting requests since Feb 12 19:03
        Parallel accepting requests since Feb 12 19:03
        printer Other disabled since Feb 14 19:28 -
	        disabled by scheduler: can't open /dev/lp
        Other-64            lp               20878   Feb 14 18:58

So does anybody have any suggestions other than turning everything off,
re-installing the system, and starting over from scratch?
--
Just say NO to skate harassment. | Just another journalist with too much
If I wish really hard, will IBM go away forever?        | computing power..