Cron

Lex Mierop lex at mustang.UUCP
Thu Jan 21 08:03:12 AEST 1988

In article <1988Jan17.235014.19530 at lsuc.uucp> dave at lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>In article <449 at wa3wbu.UUCP> john at wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>>					At different times here,
>>if I make a change in the cron time-table, I do not re-boot the whole
>>machine. I simply kill the current cron job process and start it again
>>from the console. The time/jobs are read in at execution time.
>
>                          Perhaps you should check whether your
>supposition is really correct.

I am using SunOS3.4/BSD4.3 and in this system, cron sleeps between events
in the crontab file.  If you change the crontab file, all you have to do
is send signal #1 to cron and cron will wakeup and read the crontab file
to determine how long to sleep until the next event.  You can do this
by typing the following:

	kill -1 %d

where %d is the process id of cron.
--
Lex Mierop                             |  "Bandits, 11 o'clock low"
{psivax,trwind,..}!nrcvax!mustang!lex  |