wait3 emulation in SYSTEMV ??

Bob Lenk rml at hpfcdc.HP.COM
Wed Jan 27 09:59:43 AEST 1988

> The newer versions of System V provide the possibilty to check
> the existence of a process by sending a signal 0 to the process
> in question and checking for an error return. This would allow
> you to write a write a pseudo wait3() function for terminated
> processes:

All versions of System V (and System III) permit the use of signal 0.
However, at least through V.2.* (and I haven't checked V.3.* but
wouldn't expect a change) kill() permits killing a zombie.  This is
different from BSD, where kill() returns ESRCH on attempts to kill a
zombie.

		Bob Lenk
		{ihnp4, hplabs}!hpfcla!rml