vi vs emacs in a student enviro

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.UUCP
Thu Jul 14 01:56:14 AEST 1988

In article ... sommers at njin.rutgers.edu (Mamaliz @ The Soup Kitchen) writes:
  [ how to deal with Emacs long start up time ]
> It's best to start it and stay in it. If you don't want to work that way,
> you'll hate it...

Sounds like it won't interact with "vnews" very well, then.

> What don't you like about the way Emacs updates the screen...

I have never seen an Emacs that bothers using insert and delete line. When
you delete or insert lines, they all seem to redraw the part of the window
below the cursor. When you cursor down past the end of the window, they
all redraw the whole window about 10 lines up.  This latter behaviour is
particularly annoying BTW, and would drive me batty even if they used insert/
delete line to optimise it.

Which Emacs? The one on the DEC-20, microEmacs, MG, and what I think was
a Goslingoid Emacs on an Integrated Solutions Optimum-5.
--
-- `-_-' Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva.
--   U   Ferranti International Controls Corporation.